|Randy LeVeque, Chairemail@example.com||
|Bob Pego||rpego at cmu.edu||
Journal Committee Charge
The Journal Committee of the Publications Committee is charged with
performing some or all of the following tasks:
- Evaluate and respond quickly to proposals for new journals. Make
recommendations on new journal proposals to the Vice President for
Publications, SIAM Board, and SIAM Council.
- Analyze the journal program to ensure that subject areas covered
adequately reflect the needs of the SIAM membership and the applied
mathematics, scientific computing, and computational science communities
at large and that the journals remain current with the changes in those
and related fields.
- Monitor journal editorial board structures to ensure that the
models used best serve the authors and editors.
- Analyze and recommend effective ways to integrate the Internet
into the publications program, such as electronic-only supplements to
- Monitor free vs. fee-based delivery mechanisms for print and
Questions that the Journals Committee should revisit periodically include:
- What is the mission of the suite of SIAM journals? How can SIAM journals best serve this mission?
- How much control should EICs have over the editorial policy of their journal?
- Should guidelines be established about rejecting papers without review
when those papers are perceived to fall outside the scope of the journal?
These are just some of the issues related to the SIAM journal program that could be analyzed and evaluated; others may arise in the course of committee discussions.
Members of the Journal Committee will be appointed by the President in consultation with the Vice President for Publications, the Chair of the Journal Committee, and the CCA. Members will serve three-year terms, renewable once with the approval of the President. The President, in consultation with the Vice President for Publications, will choose the committee Chair. Under normal circumstances the committee Chair will serve a three-year term, renewable once with the approval of the President.
The committee will report annually to the Council and Board through the VP for Publications. The VP for Publications will serve ex officio on the committee, but will not chair it. Much of the committee's discussion will take place by phone and email, but one face-to-face meeting per year would be beneficial.