SIAM Book Marketing
Working Non-stop to Build Sales for Every SIAM Title
SIAM’s marketing effort for each of the 20-25 titles we publish every year begins long before the book comes off the press. From the very start of the editorial process, SIAM’s editors and marketing staff work with authors and plan how to target the specific readership for each book. Using a variety of tools – including print advertising, direct mail, conference exhibits and online displays – they design a program to give each book its highest possible profile within the applied and computationl mathematics community.
Here are just some of the ways that SIAM communicates to individuals, institutions, booksellers and the academic world about its prestigious book program:
How are SIAM books promoted?
- Through targeted direct mail to more than 1,000 book distributors and libraries throughout the world
- Through carefully targeted direct mail for textbooks that pinpoints hundreds of professors, their courses and currents texts, and matches new SIAM titles to the instructors most likely to adopt them.
- Through an easily accessed online request system for distribution of desk and examination copies to faculty.
- Through discounted sales to SIAM members.
- Through the SIAM website.
- Through online partners including Amazon.com.
- Through a partnership with Cambridge University Press.
Where are SIAM books advertised?
SIAM uses a number of different venues to advertise its books to mathematicians, engineers and scientists around the world, including:
- Every issue of SIAM News, published 10 times each year and distributed to more than 110,000 individuals and institutions in the SIAM database.
- Other professional and trade publications, including:
- AMS Notices
- Amstat News
- ESAIM: Control, Optimisation and Calculus of Variations
- ESAIM: Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis
- ESAIM: Probability and Statistics
- GAMM Rundbrief
- IMAGE – The Bulletin of the International Linear Algebra Society
- The Mathematical Intelligencer
- New Zealand Math Society Newsletter
Where are SIAM books exhibited?
In addition to SIAM-sponsored conferences during the year, books are exhibited at a wide variety of professional gatherings worldwide. SIAM events include:
- International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- SIAM Annual Meeting
- SIAM Conferences on:
- Applications of Dynamical Systems
- Control and Its Applications
- Mathematics for Industry
- Geometric Design and Computing
- Analysis of Partial Differential Equations
- Algorithm Engineering and Experiments
- Symposium on Discrete Algorithms
- Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing
- Data Mining
- Mathematical Aspects of Materials Science
- Imaging Science
Non-affiliated conferences, symposia and meetings around the world each year, including:
- Joint Statistics Meetings
- Joint Mathematics Meetings
- Supercomputing Conference
- Conference on Decision and Control
- INFORMS Annual Meeting
- Society for Mathematical Biology
- Advances in Control and Optimization of Dynamical Systems
- Copper Mountain Conference on Multigrid Methods
- Dynamics Days Europe
- International Symposium on Data Mining and Information Retrieval
- International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis
What publications does SIAM communicate with for reviews and new-book notices?
SIAM targets a number of professional journals and publications including:
- Bulletin of the American Math Society
- Discrete Mathematics and Applications
- IEEE Computer Society Publications
- Industrial Mathematics
- Linear Algebra & Its Applications
- London Mathematical Society
- Mathematical Biosciences
- NA Digest