SIAM J. Scientific Computing (SISC) Special Section on Two Themes: Planet Earth and Big Data
Tamara G. Kolda
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories
Section Editor, SISC
Professor, Department of Computer Science, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology
Section Editor, SISC
Authors: The deadline for submissions is extended through June 15.
Call for Papers
We are pleased to announce that SISC will dedicate a special section in association with the CSE13 conference. The special section will focus on two themes – Planet Earth and Big Data – and will feature high-quality scientific-computing papers in either one or both (!) of these two areas.
The year 2013 has been designated as a special year of emphasis on the mathematics of Planet Earth, and SISC traditionally publishes papers on a wide variety of computational aspects of related research, including geosciences, atmospheric and oceanic fluid dynamics, methods for inverse problems, flow through porous media, detection and tracking of pollutants, computational astrophysics, and much more. Likewise, the year 2012 has been designated as a special year of emphasis on Mathematics, Statistics, and the Data Deluge, and there are many natural intersections of the interests of SISC and Big Data. This includes adaptation of numerical algorithms to architectures such as MapReduce, analysis and algorithms for large-scale networks, methods for efficient handling of missing data in applications (consider the Netflix prize), fast scalable algorithms for supervised and unsupervised learning (such as nonnegative matrix factorization), and so on.
The SIAM office will be accepting submissions to the special section from January 1, 2013 until June 15, 2013.
Papers will be subject to review according to usual standards of SISC by a guest Editorial Board. The editorial policy of SISC can be found here: http://www.siam.org/journals/sisc/policy.php.
Please enter submissions directly into the SISC Journal Submission & Tracking System at http://sisc.siam.org. Note the block labeled Special Section (just under the Section block on your submission screen) and select "Planet Earth and Big Data Special Section 2013" from the dropdown box. Also be sure to note in the Manuscript Comment text box at the bottom of this page that your work is intended for the Planet Earth and Big Data Special Section 2013. Additional instructions for SISC authors are available here: http://www.siam.org/journals/sisc/authors.php.
Guest Editorial Board
- Mihai Anitescu, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
- Uri Ascher, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Wolfgang Bangerth, Texas A&M University, USA
- Ümit Çatalyürek, Ohio State University, USA
- Edmond Chow, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- Hans De Sterck, University of Waterloo, Canada
- Luca Formaggia, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Jason Frank, Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- David Gleich, Purdue University, USA
- Lutz Gross, University of Queensland, Australia
- Eldad Haber, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Des Higham, University of Strathclyde, Scotland
- Ilse Ipsen, North Caroline State University, USA
- Vipin Kumar, University of Minnesota, USA
- Li-Shi Luo, Old Dominion University, USA
- James Nagy, Emory University, USA
- Haesun Park, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- Fernando Perez, U.C. Berkeley, USA
- Ali Pinar, Sandia National Laboratories, USA
- Stephen Roberts, Australian National University , Australia
- Rob Schreiber, HP Labs, USA
- Daniel Tartakovsky, University of California, San Diego, USA
- Sivan Toledo, Tel-Aviv University, Israel
- Justin Wan, University of Waterloo, Canada
- Dongbin Xiu, Purdue University, USA
For any questions, contact Mitch Chernoff, Publications Manager, SIAM, at email@example.com.