Monday, July 10
Sponsored by the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM)
Launching a Career
10:30 AM-12:30 PM
This minisymposium will feature four mathematicians/computer scientists in a variety of careers. The speakers will discuss their career experiences and give some advice on starting a career. A variety of opportunities will be discussed.
Organizer: Suzanne M. Lenhart
University of Tennessee, Knoxville and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- 10:30-10:55 DOE Labs: An Energetic Career in Mathematics
- Charles H. Romine, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- 11:00-11:25 The Possibility of Having Careers in Both Industry and Academia: Sequentially or in Parallel?
- Teresa D. Edwards, Spelman College, USA
- 11:30-11:55 From Academe to Government: An Unexpected Opportunity
- Deborah F. Lockhart, National Science Foundation, USA
- 12:00-12:25 Working in a Multidisciplinary Environment
- Mary F. Wheeler, University of Texas, Austin, USA