Guidelines for Chairs of SIAM Plenary, Minisymposia, and Contributed Sessions
Prior to the beginning of your session:
- Check the "Program Addendum" and "On-Site Program Updates" (posted on the bulletin board in the registration area) to see if there have been any changes/cancellations to the session you are chairing.
- Plan to be in the room approximately 10 minutes before your session starts.
- Identify yourself to the speakers, check who is the designated speaker for each paper and verify the title. Also check the pronunciation of the speaker's name and affiliation.
- Check the condition of your meeting room, especially the audio-visual equipment. If assistance is required, please see the SIAM Registration Desk, or use a house phone and ask to be connected to the SIAM Registration Desk. Be prepared to tell staff which meeting room you are in and the session you are chairing.
- Complete the "speaker sheet" and return to the SIAM registration desk after the session ends. The speaker sheet is used to track changes to the published program and is essential to SIAM.
- Start on time. Timing and floor discussion are your responsibilities.
- Keep the introductions very brief when changing speakers.
- Please have all the speakers use the microphone when one is provided.
- Make sure that the presenters do not block the view of the screen.
- Hold each speaker to the allotted time as printed in the program.
- Remind speakers about their remaining time. Tell each presenter the procedure you will use (i.e., flash cards or hand signals). Flash cards for ten (10) minutes remaining, five (5) minutes remaining, and one (1) minute remaining are available at the registration desk. If you would like to use flash cards, stop by the registration desk to pick them up from a SIAM staff person.
- Pay close attention to the time. We count on each session chair to keep the sessions on schedule.
- If a presenter ends early or is a "no show", use that extra time for questions and comments from the audience or yourself. Refrain from starting the next paper early. If there is a canceled talk in your session, please DO NOT move up the subsequent talk(s). Simply recess during the canceled time, and resume your session with the next talk as scheduled in the program. This enables all attendees to read and follow the published schedule. BE SURE TO COMPLETE THE SPEAKER SHEET. IT IS CRITICAL THAT SIAM IS NOTIFIED OF "NO SHOWS" OR SPEAKER CHANGES.
- When questions are asked, ensure that the audience has heard the question. Restate the question if needed.
- End on time. Urge the audience to continue discussion elsewhere.