Call for Submissions: The 2007 Wilkinson Prize for Numerical SoftwareApril 4, 2006
In honour of the outstanding contributions of James Hardy Wilkinson
to the field of numerical software, Argonne National Laboratory,
the National Physical Laboratory, and the Numerical Algorithms Group
award a numerical software prize of US $3 000. Prizes have previously
been awarded at the International Conference in Industrial and
Applied Mathematics (ICIAM):
1991 Linda Petzold; DASSL
1995 Chris Bischof and Alan Carle; ADIFOR 2.0
1999 Matteo Frigo and Steven Johnson; FFTW
2003 Jonathan Shewchuk; Triangle
The 2007 prize will be awarded at ICIAM 2007 in Zurich,
16-20 July 2007, www.iciam07.ch.
Rules for Submission
Each author of an entry must be at most 40 years of age on
1 January 2007. Each entry must contain the following:
- Software written in a widely available high-level programming
- A paper describing the algorithm and the software implementation.
It should give an analysis of the algorithm and indicate any
special programming features;
- Documentation of the software, which describes its purpose and
method of use;
- Examples of use of the software, including a test program and data;
- A two-page summary of the main features of the algorithm and
Submissions must be in English and received by 3 November 2006.
The award will be made to the entry that best addresses all phases
of the preparation of high-quality numerical software, including:
- Clarity of the paper, the software implementation and documentation;
- Portability, reliability, efficiency and usability of the software
- Depth of analysis of the algorithm and the software;
- Importance of the application addressed by the software;
- Quality of the test software.
Each submission should include a README file describing its contents
and facilities for executing the test program.
Submissions can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact this address for further information.
Maurice Cox, National Physical Laboratory, UK
Wilkinson Prize 2007 Chair