AcknowledgmentsMembers of the Mathematics in Industry Steering Committee are:
- Robert Burridge, Schlumberger-Doll Research Center;
- Peter E. Castro, Eastman Kodak Company;
- Rosemary E. Chang, Silicon Graphics Computer Systems;
- Paul W. Davis (chair), Worcester Polytechnic Institute;
- James Donaldson, Howard University;
- M. Gregory Forest, Ohio State University;
- Avner Friedman, Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications;
- Robert Kohn, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences;
- C. David Levermore, University of Arizona;
- Samuel Marin, General Motors Research and Development Center;
- James McKenna, Bellcore;
- Joyce R. McLaughlin, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;
- Bart S. Ng, Indiana University--Purdue University at Indianapolis;
- Robert E. O'Malley, Jr., University of Washington;
- James Phillips, Boeing Computer Services;
- Richard F. Sincovec, Oak Ridge National Laboratory;
- Lynn Wilson, AT&T Bell Laboratories;
- Margaret H. Wright, AT&T Bell Laboratories, ex officio.
Significant support and guidance for this phase of the Mathematics in Industry project were provided by James M. Crowley, SIAM Executive Director, and William G. Kolata, SIAM Technical Director. The MII study was initiated by I. Edward Block, SIAM Managing Director emeritus.
We thank Elizabeth Foulkes of the American Mathematical Society for her assistance in contacting Ph.D.'s working in industry and government, and we are grateful to individual department chairs and secretaries for their help in locating master's graduates.
The SIAM Mathematics in Industry study has been supported by the National Science Foundation and the National Security Agency.