Great Lakes Section (GLSIAM)
GLSIAM was formed in 1988, to serve Michigan, Northern Ohio, Northern Indian, Southern Ontario, and the surrounding areas. It organizes its annual conferences around themes reflecting its members' evolving interests within applied mathematics. Topical disciplines have included Computer Aided Design, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Numerical Solutions of PDEs, Complex Systems, and Bio-Mathematics.
About 17% of the Section members work either in industry or in government; about 83% belong to academic staffs or are students.Programs and selected presentations from the past several conferences are posted on the Section’s website: http://groups.engin.umd.umich.edu/siam/.
[Photo right: 2011 Meeting Organizers: Section President Mike LaChance and Conference Co-Chairs Libin Rong and Wen Zhang]
(All terms January 1, 2012 – December 31, 2013)
Industrial Co-President: David Lamb, U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC)
Academic Co-President: Michael Lachance, University of Michigan Dearborn
Industrial Co-Vice President: Emmanuel Tsimis, Siemens
Academic Co-Vice President: Leela Rakesh, Central Michigan University
Treasurer: Richard Katnik, General Motors Corp. (Retired)
Secretary: Ed Moylan, Ford Motor Co. (Retired)
On April 21, 2012, the Section met on the campus of Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, for its spring meeting. The theme was “Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations.” More than 60 attendees heard the following plenary speakers:
- Yuesheng Xu, Syracuse University, “The Finite Volume Method for Solving Elliptic Problems”
- Junping Wang, National Science Foundation, “Weak Galerkin Finite Element Methods for Partial Differential Equations”
- Selim Esedoglu,University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, “Algorithms for Mean Curvature Motion of Networks”
- Ricardo Nochetto, University of Maryland, College Park, “Director Fields on Flexible Surfaces”
- Hongkai Zhao, University of California, Irvine, “An Efficient Multi-Level Method for Radiative Transport Equation with Applications to Optical Imaging”
The 2013 meeting will be held April 20 at Central Michigan University, in Mt. Pleasant, MI.