CSE15 Student Days
SIAM student chapters are invited to participate in Student Days during the 2015 SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE15) in Salt Lake City, Utah, March 14-18, 2015. Student Days are organized by the SIAM Education Committee.
Opportunities for Student Chapter Participation
- SIAM will provide up to $500 for each chapter (up to $700 for chapters outside of North America) to send one student representative to attend the 2015 SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering. Please note that all representatives must be SIAM members.
- SIAM has organized a special Student Chapter Meeting with SIAM Leadership on Sunday, March 15, 2015, at which all the student representatives of the chapters and faculty advisors will meet with members of the SIAM Board, Council, and Education Committee to discuss any matters related to improving student chapters and services that SIAM provides to students.
- The Education Committee makes a limited number of invitations (because of scheduling constraints) for student paper presentations at special Student Days sessions. Twelve chapters are selected annually by the Education Committee on a rotating basis. These presentations must be given by a student member of the chapter (who is also a SIAM member) and must reflect research to which the student has contributed significantly.
- In addition to the experience of attending the meeting, special Student Days activities include research presentations by student chapters, by undergraduates in applied and computational mathematics, and an oppurtunity for students to informally meet some of the meeting's prestigious invited speakers.
- There will be an all-day career fair on Saturday, March 14, 2015, that will emphasize non-academic careers and will feature employers from industry and government.
How to Participate in Student Day
- Select a student representative from your chapter who is a SIAM member to attend the 2015 SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering and Student Days activities including the Chapter Meeting with SIAM Leadership breakfast. Notify Nancy Snell at SIAM of the student who will be representing your chapter by December 1, 2014. Student representatives will be responsible for registering for the Meeting ($115 on or before January 28, 2015 or $130 onsite) and making all their own travel and hotel arrangements. We encourage students to make travel and hotel arrangements early. Hotel information will be posted in mid September 2014 and conference registration will open in November. Students may request reimbursement within 60 days following the meeting by submitting an expense report form and receipts.
- If your chapter is one of the twelve chapters invited to have their representative present their research during Student Days:
- Send an email to Susan Whitehouse by November 15, 2014, including the name, affiliation, and email address of the student member who will be presenting the paper on behalf of your chapter.
- Send an email to Susan Whitehouse by December 15, 2014, including the student name, affiliation, email address, title, and abstract for the paper. Please also include the name, affiliation, and email address for any co-authors. Abstracts (75 words or less) must be submitted in text format or in TeX if there are math symbols.
Important Deadline Dates to Remember
|11/15/2014||By this date, the twelve chapters invited to present student research should submit the student’s name, affiliation, and email address to Susan Whitehouse.|
|12/1/2014||By this date you should have submitted the name of the student representative for your chapter to Nancy Snell.|
|12/15/2014||By this date, the twelve chapters invited to present student research must submit the student name, affiliation, email address (plus same information for any co-authors), title, and abstract (75 words or less) for the paper to Susan Whitehouse.|
|1/28/2015||Early registration deadline for CSE15. After that date, you’ll have to register on site (and pay a higher fee).|
|2/18/15||Hotel reservation deadline. The room block can fill prior to the deadline, so make your reservations early.|
|5/20/2015||Deadline to submit expense report form and receipts for expenses incurred at CSE15 as student chapter representative.|