AN13 Student Days
SIAM student chapters are invited to participate in Student Days during the 2013 SIAM Annual Meeting (AN13) in San Diego, California, July 8-12, 2013. Student Days are organized by the SIAM Education Committee.
Opportunities for Student Chapter Participation
- SIAM will provide up to $500 for each chapter to send one student representative to attend the SIAM Annual Meeting. Requests for additional travel money from overseas student chapters will be considered on a case by case basis.
- SIAM has organized a special Student Chapter Meeting with SIAM Leadership on Tuesday July 9, at which all the student representatives of the chapters and faculty advisors will meet with members of the SIAM Board, Council, and Education Committee to discuss any matters related to improving student chapters and services that SIAM provides to students.
- The Education Committee made a limited number of invitations (because of scheduling constraints) for student paper presentations at a special Student Days session. These presentations must be given by a student member of the chapter and must reflect research to which the student has contributed significantly. Six chapters are selected annually by the Education Committee on a rotating basis.
- In addition to the experience of attending the annual meeting, special Student Days activities include research presentations by student chapters, by undergraduates in applied and computational mathematics, and by the 2013 winners of the Mathematical Contest in Modeling and the SIAM Student Paper Prizes.
- New! New activities, started in 2012, include a special orientation for students prior to the opening reception on Sunday, a student lounge set up for networking and meeting students from other institutions, and an opportunity for students to informally meet some of the meeting’s prestigious invited speakers.
How to Participate in Student Day
- Select a student representative from your chapter to attend the 2013 SIAM Annual Meeting and Student Days activities including the Chapter Meeting with SIAM Leadership breakfast. Notify Nancy Snell at SIAM of the student who will be representing your chapter by April 1, 2013. Student representatives will be responsible for registering for the Annual Meeting ($110 on or before June 10 or $125 onsite) and making all their own travel and hotel arrangements. We encourage students to make travel and hotel arrangements early. Hotel information will be posted in mid January 2013 and conference registration will open in April. Students may request reimbursement following the meeting by submitting an expense report form and receipts.
- If your chapter is one of the six chapters invited to have their representative present a paper during Student Day:
- Send an email to Susan Whitehouse by March 1, 2013, including the name, affiliation, and email address of the student who will be presenting the paper on behalf of your chapter. The information will be included in an annual meeting insert in the April issue of SIAM News, so please include title if known.
- Send an email to Susan Whitehouse by May 1, 2013, including the student name, affiliation, email address, title, and abstract for the paper. Please also include the name, affiliation, and email address for any co-authors. Abstracts (75 words or less) must be submitted in text format or in TeX if there are math symbols.
Important Deadline Dates to Remember
|1/21/2013||Student Travel Award application deadline.|
|1/28/2013||Submission deadline for contributed (including posters) and mini symposium speakers.|
|3/1/2013||By this date, the six chapters invited to present student papers should submit the student’s name, affiliation, and email address to Susan Whitehouse. Any information received by March 1 (including title), will be included in the annual meeting flyer in the April issue of SIAM News.|
|4/2/2013||By this date you should have submitted the name of the student representative for your chapter to Nancy Snell.|
|5/1/2013||By this date, the six chapters invited to present student papers must submit the student name, affiliation, email address (plus same information for any co-authors), title, and abstract (75 words or less) for the paper to Susan Whitehouse.|
|6/10/2013||Early registration deadline for AN13. After that date, you’ll have to register on site (and pay a higher fee).|
|6/10/2013||Deadline to make hotel reservations at the conference hotel the Town and Country Resort. SIAM’s special group rate is guaranteed until this date unless the room block sells out. Since reduced rate student rooms often sell out prior to the deadline, we recommend that you make your reservations early!|