Professor S. S. Iyengar
Department of Computer Science
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-4020
Dr. S.S.Iyengar is the Roy Paul Daniels Chaired Professor and Chairman of Computer Science at Louisiana State University, and he is also been the Chaired Professor at various institutions(Satish-Dhawan Professorship, Homi-Bhaba Professorship, Jawaharlal Nehru Professorship, Asian University Professorship-Taiwan and Visiting professor in University of Paris and University of Bonn, etc.) around the world. He has been a visiting professor/scientist at Jet Propulsion Lab, Oakridge National Laboratory etc. His research interests include high-performance algorithms, data structures, sensor fusion, data mining, and Computational aspects of intelligent systems. He has co-authored 8 books (published by John Wiley, Prentice Hall, CRC Press, Springer- Verlag and etc) and edited 7 books published by IEEE Press and others. He has published over 400 research papers. He is a world class expert in computational aspects of Sensor Networks, Data Structures, and Algorithms for various distributed applications. His techniques have been used by various federal agencies (NRL, ORNL, and NASA) for their projects. His work has been cited very extensively by researchers and scientists around the world. He was honored with a Doctor of Science and Engineering from Technical University in Kolkata and many awards from Tunisian Mathematical Society.
He is a SIAM Distinguished lecturer/ ACM National Lecturer/ IEEE Distinguished Scientist. He is a Fellow of IEEE, Fellow of ACM, Fellow of AAAS and Fellow of SDPS (Society for Design and Process Science), Member of the European Academy of Sciences. He is a recipient of various IEEE awards, best paper awards, the Distinguished Alumnus award of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and other awards.
He has served as the editor of several IEEE journals and is the founding editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. His research has been funded by National Science Foundation (NSF), Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), Multi-University Research Initiative (MURI Program), Office of Naval Research (ONR), Department of Energy/OakRidge national Laboratory (DOE/ORNL), Naval Research Laboratory (NRL), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), US Army Research Office (URO) and various state agencies and companies.
He has served on US National Science Foundation and National Institute of Health Panels to review proposals in various aspects of computational science and has been involved as and external evaluator (ABET-accreditation) for several computer science and Engineering departments. Dr. Iyengar has been the member of the proposal panel review committee for the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS). He has been on the advisory committee of various universities and companies around the world. He has been a member of the European Sensor Networking Group jointly with University of Melbourne.
Dr. Iyengar had 40 doctoral students under his supervision and the legacy of these students can be seen in prestigious Laboratories (JPL, Oak Ridge National Lab, Los Alamos National Lab, Naval Research Lab) and universities round the world. He has been the program Chairman of various international conferences and has given more than 50 keynote talks at IEEE / International conferences.
He has won Distinguished Research Master Award/LSU Rain Makers Award/ Hub Cotton Award for faculty excellence.
- 2010 Honorary Doctorate of science and Engineering-Technical University Kolkata March 2010.
- 2010-Tunisia Distinguished faculty award March 2010.
- 2010-Nominated for ACM Karl V.Karlstom outstanding Educator Award
- 2009 ,2008-Rain makers distinguished faculty award
- 2008-Honorary Professorship, Asian University Taiwan.
- 2007 – Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- 2006-IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award.
- 2005- Fellow of The American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2004-Fellow of The Institute of the Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
- 2003-Distinguished Alumnus Award of the Indian Institute of Science .
- 2002-Satish Dhawan Chaired Professorship of the Indian Institute of Science
- 2001-Homi Baba Professor ship at Atomic Energy Commission at Indira Gandhi Research Center for Excellence.
- 1995-Invited Jawaharlal Nehru Professorship at University of Hyderabad.
- 1991-ASEE Faculty Fellow at Jet Propulsion laboratory –Caltech
- 2004-Roy Paul Danniel Professor ship
- 2000-IEEE Computer Society Golden Core Member
- 2004-Fellow of the Society for Design and Process Science
- 2007-Research Project was judged to be the Best at The World Best Academy Show Case.
- 2004-HUB-Cotton Award for Excellence
- 1998-Distinguished Research Master Award
- 1985-Visiting Scientist at “OAK RIDGE NATIONAL LABS”
Topics of Interest
- Green Computing
- Sensor Networks
- Intelligent Systems
- Data mining
- Machine Learning