Social Media Policy and Guidelines
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) manages and maintains several social media channels in order to enable employees, members, authors, bloggers, and those in the larger applied mathematics community to share information, generate discussion, seek help, discuss problems, support collaboration, and build relationships. While SIAM staff oversees these platforms, the nature of discussion is a reflection of all individuals who take the time to participate in and contribute to the online community.
The rapid growth of social media and its ease of use make it a great channel for communication. However, it also holds the potential for unintended consequences if used inappropriately or irresponsibly. In order to avoid any problems or misunderstandings, the following are a few guidelines to provide helpful advice and suggestions for all who participate in SIAM News and SIAM’s social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and LinkedIn, based on the objectives of SIAM, involvement by members, and the goals fulfilled by social media generally. These guidelines are by no means exhaustive. Publication and commentary on social media carries similar obligations to any other kind of publication or commentary. We expect all those who participate in SIAM’s social media communities to follow these guidelines and to exercise their best judgment on the content they post.
For All Users
- Be Transparent: Do not post anonymously, impersonate someone else, obscure your identity, or use pseudonyms or false screen names. Do not post material that is protected by copyright, such as images or complete articles copied from another source, unless you are the copyright holder or have the author's permission.
- Confidential Information: Refrain from publishing confidential or proprietary information.
- Protect Yourself: Users of SIAM’s social media channels are expected to exercise good judgment in sharing sensitive information. Be wary of posting details that may be used for identity theft and scam.
- Be Lawful: Do not post information or conduct any online activity that may violate applicable local, state, or federal laws and regulations. Remember that everything online is discoverable.
- Be Respectful: SIAM will not tolerate discrimination, including age, sex, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability, or marital status.
- Be Professional: While advocacy for issues that relates to the professions is acceptable, please refrain from topics that may be considered objectionable or inflammatory, such as politics and religion.
- Maintain Purpose: Community forums are for discussion, not advertising or spamming. Do not post self/organization-promoting content or post duplicate messages. If you are replying to an inquiry for recommended products or services, you may reply in the spirit of discussion and information-sharing. Please note that SIAM maintains separate pages for advertising positions, products, and services. If you want to advertise, please visit our advertising page.
- Assume Goodwill: Assume that people have goodwill toward you, and if you see something contrary to that, question it, but do not assume that the person is attacking you. If you continue to have a problem with another member, contact SIAM for help in resolving the issue.
All content posted by authorized bloggers must comply with SIAM’s mission and goals
and must be deemed of value to SIAM’s audience comprising of professional mathematicians, computational and other scientists, students, educators, policy makers, readers with an interest in mathematics, and the general public. Please refrain from expressing personal or political opinions that are irrelevant and/or controversial, unless expressly pertinent to the article or post. Content dealing with applied mathematics and computational science research, education, publications, literature, policy, funding, events, and milestones are welcome. Focus on current events and their broader implications in the mathematical community as well as insights into the real-world relevance of mathematics and related STEM fields is encouraged
You are solely responsible for any blog content (hereby referred to as “submission”) to SIAM News. Submissions do not reflect SIAM’s opinions or policies. You agree that you will not submit any text, photograph, video and/or audio recordings, or otherwise post any item which:
- Is false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, libelous, abusive, offensive, profane, hateful, harassing or threatening, makes misrepresentations, endorses any form of hate or hate group, or is profane or pornographic, contains any nudity
- Is unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group
- Contains any confidential information or any information that would infringe upon the proprietary, privacy, or personal rights of others
- Appears to duplicate any other submitted materials and/or recordings
- Communicates messages inconsistent with the goals and mission of SIAM
- Discusses, recommends, or endorses any activities or actions that are unsafe, hazardous, or dangerous
- Violates or advocates the violation of any law
By making a submission, you warrant and represent that:
- Your submission, including any personally identifiable information you provide as part of the submission, is accurate, complete, and valid
- You are the sole and exclusive owner of the submissions (including without limitation, any text, audio, photograph, image and/or video), or have secured permission in writing from any person or entity that may own any works incorporated into your submission, and, if requested to do so, can produce such written consent in a form and manner acceptable to us (and in particular, if any minor is depicted in any photograph, information and/or video, you have obtained the express written consent of the minor’s parent or legal guardian to submit such photograph, information and/or video and allow it to be used in the manner contemplated in these terms).
- Your submission does not defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or property rights or any other third party rights
By submitting content to SIAM News, you waive, and agree not to bring at any time, any claims of any type whatsoever against SIAM or its affiliates, or their officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, licensors, or suppliers in any way arising from or relating to submitted content, including without limitation any claims asserting: (a) infringement of rights of publicity or misappropriation of likeness or image; (b) invasion of privacy; (c) any allegedly false or misleading portrayal of you); (d) infliction of emotional distress (whether intentional or negligent); (e) breach of contract; (f) copyright or trademark infringement; (g) defamation; (h) fraud; or (i) false designation of origin.
SIAM accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on SIAM’s interactive websites or lists by others, including but not limited to SIAM News and SIAM’s social media channels’ comment sections, discussion forums, and listservs. User-submitted content does not reflect SIAM’s opinions or policies.
Copyright Ownership and Policy
Copyright, and all intellectual property rights in the contents of the SIAM website, are the exclusive property of Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), except for content that is clearly user-generated and posted by persons other than employees and staff of SIAM.
SIAM grants users a revocable license to display and electronically copy, download and print hard copy versions of the material contained on the SIAM site for personal and noncommercial use, provided any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notice that appears on the material copied, downloaded, or printed is not modified or deleted. Please contact us for permission to reproduce or distribute materials found on the SIAM website or visit our Newsroom for our logo guide, downloadable flyers, and more. You may freely link to any public SIAM website from personal or organizational websites.
Copyright Infringement Claims
Notification of claimed copyright infringement should be sent here.
Please include all of the following in your notification:
- A physical or electronic signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive copyright that is allegedly infringed
- A description of the copyrighted work you claim has been infringed
- A description of where the material you claim is infringing is located on the site
- Your contact information (including address, telephone number, and e-mail address) reasonably sufficient to permit SIAM to contact you
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed