SIAM Sections are regional or national subgroups of SIAM members that organize lectures, meetings, and other activities to serve members in their region. SIAM encourages the formation of new Sections in regions not currently served by a SIAM Section. Members in a given region may petition to form a section to carry out the SIAM mission on a regional scale within their own region. The SIAM bylaws assign the Board of Trustees the authority to approve petitions to form new sections and to oversee existing sections.
At its July 2010 meeting, the Board of Trustees assigned the Vice President-at-Large as the responsible officer for section activities, and so the Committee on Section Activities reports to the SIAM governance through the Vice President-at-Large.
To assist the Board of Trustees in oversight and management of SIAM regional sections.
- Review annual reports by sections and report to the Board. The goal is to ensure that sections are active and following the prescribed rules.
- Review any policy decisions regarding sections and make recommendations to the Board.
- Review any new petitions to create a section and recommend to the Board whether to approve. Review the rules of procedure once these are created.
Membership and Reporting
- The Committee on Section Activities shall be composed of three to five SIAM members. It is desirable that at least three committee members have section experience, either as a former officer or section conference organizer. One member will be appointed chair.
- Committee members shall be appointed for a three-year term. Ordinarily this shall be renewable once.
- Since the Board of Trustees has responsibility for sections, this committee reports and makes recommendations to the Board, through the Vice President-at-Large.