Guidelines for Chairs of SIAM Plenary, Minisymposia, and Contributed Sessions
Prior to the beginning of your session:
- Review the online program to determine if there have been any changes/cancellations to the session you are chairing. The online program is always the most up-to-date.
- Plan to be in the room approximately 10 minutes before your session starts.
- Identify yourself to the speakers, check who is the designated speaker for each paper and verify the title. Also check the pronunciation of the speaker's name and affiliation.
- Check the condition of your meeting room, especially the audio-visual equipment. If assistance is required, call the number of the onsite A/V representative (provided on a printed sheet on the table). If a printed sheet is not provided, visit the Registration Desk for assistance, and be prepared to indicate which meeting room you are in and the session you are chairing. Please visit the “General Information” page of the conference website to review what A/V equipment will be available for the conference. SIAM does not provide computers. The provided data projectors support both VGA and HDMI connections. Presenters requiring an alternate connection must provide their own adaptor.
During the Session:
- Start on time. Timing and floor discussion are your responsibilities.
- Keep the introductions very brief when changing speakers.
- Please have all the speakers use the microphone when one is provided.
- Make sure that the presenters do not block the view of the screen.
- Hold each speaker to the allotted time as printed in the program.
- Remind speakers about their remaining time. Tell each presenter the procedure you will use (i.e., flash cards or hand signals). Inquire at the registration desk about availability of flash cards.
- Pay close attention to the time. We count on each session chair to keep the sessions on schedule.
- If a presenter ends early or is a "no show," use the extra time for questions and comments. Refrain from starting the next paper early. If there is a canceled talk, DO NOT move up the subsequent talk(s). Simply recess during the canceled time, and resume your session with the next talk as scheduled in the program. This enables all attendees to read and follow the published schedule. IT IS CRITICAL SIAM IS NOTIFIED OF "NO SHOWS" OR SPEAKER CHANGES. Advise the Registration Desk or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any undocumented cancellations or replacement speakers. If the online program includes accurate session information, no action is necessary.
- When questions are asked, ensure that the audience has heard the question. Restate the question if needed.
- End on time. Urge the audience to continue discussion elsewhere.