SIAM Award in the Mathematical Contest in Modeling
The SIAM Award in the Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM), established in 1988, is awarded to two of the teams judged "Outstanding" in the Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM), administered annually by the Consortium for Mathematics and Its Applications (COMAP). One winning team is chosen for each of the two problems (continuous and discrete) posed in the MCM.
The prize committee will be appointed by the SIAM Vice President for Education. The members of the prize committee must be SIAM members.
The eligible candidates each year include all teams competing in the MCM that are judged as "Outstanding" (the highest possible ranking) by the official contest judges.
The prize committee will notify the SIAM President through the vice president for education of its nominations within a few days after the completion of the grading of the MCM (usually in March). However, the committee is free, in unusual circumstances, to recommend that no award be made. The president will accept or reject the nominations within one month of receipt. If the nominations are accepted, the award presentation will be made according to the procedure below. If the nominations are rejected, the president and the chair of the prize committee will either select the award-winning teams or decide to make no award.
The vice president for education will notify the team members and their faculty adviser of the award within two weeks after the nominations are accepted by the president. Notification will include an invitation to attend the award ceremony.
Description of the Award
Student Team Members
Each student member of the winning team will receive a cash award of $500 and three one-year student memberships in SIAM. Team members’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by SIAM up to $650 for domestic travel or $800 for international travel. A one-year student membership in SIAM will be given to each member of non-winning teams judged as "Outstanding" by the official contest judges.
A suitable certificate for the home institutions will be given to the faculty advisers of the winning teams.
At the SIAM Annual Meeting following acceptance of the nominated winners, the cash awards and certificate will be presented to those recipients who attend the ceremony, and the winning students will be invited to present their papers at a minisymposium concerning the MCM. The awards and certificate will be mailed after the ceremony to any recipient not attending.
Previous recipients of the SIAM Award in the Mathematical Contest in Modeling:
- 1988 Harvard University
- 1989 California Institute of Technology and Harvey Mudd College
- 1990 California Polytechnic State University and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- 1991 University of Alaska, Fairbanks, and University of Western Ontario, Canada
- 1992 Oklahoma State University and Pomona College
- 1993 University of Alaska, Fairbanks, and University of California, Berkeley
- 1994 North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1995 Iowa State University and University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- 1996 Pomona College and St. Bonaventure University
- 1997 Washington University (St. Louis) and University of Toronto, Canada
- 1998 Macalester College and Harvey Mudd College
- 1999 Harvey Mudd College (two teams) and Earlham College (In 1999 COMAP offered three MCM problems.)
- 2000 U.S. Military Academy and Wake Forest University
- 2001 U.S. Military Academy and Wake Forest University
- 2002 University of Washington and Duke University
- 2003 California Institute of Technology and University of Colorado at Boulder
- 2004 Harvey Mudd College and the University of Colorado at Boulder
- 2005 Harvey Mudd College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- 2006 University of Colorado at Boulder and Harvard University
- 2007 Massachusetts Institute of Technology and University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- 2008 State University of New York, The University at Buffalo and Harvard University
- 2009 Harvard University and Southwestern University
- 2010 Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), P.R.China and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- 2011 Tsinghua University, P.R.China and Harvey Mudd College
- 2012 Zhejiang University, P.R.China, and University of Louisville
- 2013 University of Colorado at Boulder and Tsinghua University, Beijing, P.R. China
- 2014 Zhejiang University, P.R.China, and Southwest University for Nationalities, P.R.China
The next award will be made at the 2014 SIAM Annual Meeting.