SIAM Code of Conduct
SIAM values integrity, diversity, respect, freedom of inquiry and expression, trust, honesty and fairness and strives to integrate these values across all its work. SIAM is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in mathematics and its application in industry and beyond, and to the facilitation and support of environments that foster this goal. As a professional society, SIAM is committed to providing an inclusive climate that encourages the open expression and exchange of ideas, that is free from all forms of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, and that is welcoming and comfortable to all members and to those who participate in its activities. In pursuit of that commitment, SIAM is dedicated to the philosophy of equality of opportunity and treatment for all participants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion or religious belief, age, marital status, disabilities, veteran status, field of expertise, or any other reason not related to scientific merit. This philosophy extends from SIAM conferences, to its publications, to all of its programs, and to its governing structures and bodies.
The following Code applies to all members and anyone else acting on behalf of or promoting the work of SIAM. SIAM also expects the standards set out in the Code to be upheld by its members at conferences, meetings, events and other social activities regardless of the capacity in which the member is attending (be it as an organizer, delegate, speaker, sponsor, exhibitor, or in any other capacity). Members are expected to uphold the principles set out in the Code at all times during the relevant event, including at all conference venues, conference accommodation and conference-related social activities.
Many of the principles set out in this Code are designed to ensure that individuals feel safe and comfortable when interacting with SIAM and have an inclusive experience; much of what is set out in the Code is relevant to others who, although not members, have contact with SIAM.
Violations of that part of the Code that overlap with SIAM’s inclusiveness policy (see SIAM’s Statement on Inclusiveness) can be reported via EthicsPoint, our third-party provider, on a totally confidential and anonymous basis. Please submit reports here.
As members of SIAM we will:
- promote the study, application, and understanding of applied mathematics;
- act with integrity, and strive to be objective, unbiased, and truthful in all aspects of our work;
- treat all others with dignity and respect;
- act to support SIAM’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion;
- never discriminate against another person on the basis of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion or religious belief, age, marital status, disabilities, veteran status, field of expertise, or any other reason not related to scientific merit;
- never bully, abuse, victimize, or engage in harassment of any kind, including sexual harassment, whether via spoken or written words, emails, offensive images or graffiti, social media posts, or any other means;
- avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action;
- be respectful of the privacy of others and the protection of their personal information and data;
- seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, acknowledge and correct errors, and credit properly the contributions of others;
- assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and support them in following this code of conduct;
- maintain and develop our competence and knowledge and encourage persons working under our direction, management or supervision to do likewise;
- avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and disclose them to affected parties when they do exist.