Guidelines for SIAM Poster Presenters
Poster presentations foster the exchange of ideas between the contributor and those who have a specific interest in the contributor's work. Poster presentations enable the presenters to proceed at a pace consistent with the interests of the group gathered around them. Presenters selected for a poster session will be located together in one room and organized in alphabetical order by the presenting author’s last name.
For more information, refer to Sven Hammarling and Nicholas J. Higham's article "How to Prepare a Poster" .
How to Prepare your Presentation
- Your presentation should be based on displayed material.
- A concise statement of the problem and the results obtained should be a conspicuous part of the display.
- The display should be designed to take advantage of the fact that the presentation need not be "linearly ordered" as in a talk or written paper. For example, arrows directing the viewer to various parts of the display, and color-coding of different aspects of the work may be used to advantage.
- Creative use of graphic detail such as drawings, charts and tables is recommended.
- Use lightweight materials -- not cardboard. Thumbtacks or pushpins must be able to hold them when mounted to the poster board.
- You must provide your own title-sign. Lettering should be about 2" high. Display materials should fit within the dimensions of the poster board (typically 4 feet high x 6 feet wide or 4 feet high x 8 feet wide), and should be legible from a distance of 10 feet-12 feet.
- Test the readability of your display before you arrive at the meeting.
- Each poster presenter will have a space approximately five (5) feet square between each poster board. Presenters should be available for the duration of the session to answer questions and discuss their work.
- Check the program to determine what time poster boards will be available for you to access and set up your poster materials. Locate your assigned poster board and post materials using the provided pushpins.
- Please remove your posted materials by the time noted in the printed program and on the sign. Any materials left on the poster board afterwards will be removed and discarded. SIAM is not responsible for any discarded materials that were left at the completion of the session.
Poster boards are ordered and rented one month prior to the meeting dates. The rental cost per board, including delivery and installation, is $65. This expense is shouldered by SIAM. However, if a poster presenter cancels his or her presentation without notifying SIAM at least three weeks before the start of the meeting, the presenter is responsible for paying the rental fee. The presenter should remit SIAM payment of $65.