History and Goals of SIAM
105th meeting of SIAM Council
The goals of SIAM are to:
- Advance the application of mathematics and computational science to engineering, industry, science, and society;
- Promote research that will lead to effective new mathematical and computational methods and techniques for science, engineering, industry, and society;
- Provide media for the exchange of information and ideas among mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.
To serve this diverse group of professionals:
- SIAM publishes 13 peer-reviewed research journals and approximately 25 books per year. All SIAM journals are available electronically.
- SIAM conducts an annual meeting and many specialized conferences, short courses, and workshops in areas of interest to its members.
- SIAM's extensive prize program recognizes outstanding applied mathematicians, both students and professionals.
- SIAM sponsors 15 special interest activity groups, which provide additional opportunities for professional interaction and informal networking.
- SIAM sponsors regional sections for local technical activities and student chapters that bring faculty and students together in activities consistent with SIAM's objectives.