The SIAM Outstanding Paper Prizes
SIAM will award three prizes each year, beginning in 1999, for outstanding papers published in SIAM journals. The Prize Committee should seek papers that exhibit originalityfor example, papers that bring a fresh look at an existing field or that open up new areas of applied mathematics. The Committee is urged to give special consideration to early career authors.
The SIAM President, upon consultation with the Vice President-at-Large and the Vice President for Publications, will each year appoint a Prize Committee of five SIAM members. The Committee will submit its recommendations for the prizes not later than four months before the date of the Annual Meeting (except that recommendations for the 1999 prizes will be submitted by March 30, 1999).
Starting with the 2016 award, eligible papers will be those published in SIAM journals during the three calendar years prior to the year before the year of the award, using the date of electronic publication for papers from 1998 onward. Papers published in the SIGEST section of SIAM Review are not eligible for this prize.
In seeking nominations, the Prize Committee is encouraged to consult with journal editors and with the Vice President for Publications. The Committee will have freedom to solicit other nominations and to determine its choices within the framework of outstanding papers published in SIAM journals early in the recipients' careers. The Committee should briefly describe the significance of each paper chosen, and the prizes must be approved by the President, Vice President-at-Large, and Vice President for Publications.
Prize Award Date
The prizes are awarded annually.
Description of the Award
The amount of the award will be $500 to each recipient. There will be an additional $1,000 per winner paper as a contribution towards travel expenses to attend the Annual Meeting to receive the award.
The awards to the authors will be presented at the SIAM Annual Meeting.
Prizes Awarded in 1999
- Tobin A. Driscoll, Eigenmodes of Isospectral Drums, SIAM Review, 39 (1997), pp. 1-17.
- Wim Sweldens, The Lifting Scheme: A Construction of Second Generation Wavelets, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 29 (1998), pp. 511-546.
- Virginia Torczon, On the Convergence of Pattern Search Algorithms, SIAM J. Optim., 7 (1997), pp. 1-25.
- Ralf Hiptmair, Multigrid Method for Maxwell's Equations, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 36 (1998), pp. 204-225.
- David R. Karger, A Randomized Fully Polynomial Time Approximation Scheme for the All-Terminal Network Reliability Problem, SIAM Journal on Computing, 29 (1999), 492-514.
- Arnd Scheel, Bifurcation to Spiral Waves in Reaction-Diffusion Systems, SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, 29 (1998), pp. 1399-1418.
- Alan Edelman, Tomás A. Arias, and Steven T. Smith, The Geometry of Algorithms with Orthogonality Constraints, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, 20 (1999), pp. 303-353.
- Michele Benzi and Miroslav Tuma, A Sparse Approximate Inverse Preconditioner for Nonsymmetric Linear Systems, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 19 (1998), pp. 968-994.
- Pedro Morin, Ricardo H. Nochetto, and Kunibert G. Siebert, Data Oscillation and Convergence of Adaptive FEM, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 38 (2000), pp. 466-488.
- Johan Hastad, Russell Impagliazzo, Leonid A. Levin, and Michael Luby, A Pseudorandom Generator from any One-way Function, SIAM Journal on Computing, 28 (1999), pp. 1364-1396
- David D. Yao, Shuzhong Zhang, and Xun Yu Zhou, Stochastic Linear-Quadratic Control via Semidefinite Programming, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, 40 (2001), pp. 801-823
- Stefan Henn and Kristian Witsch, Iterative Multigrid Regularization Techniques for Image Matching, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 23 (2001), pp. 1077-1093
- Gérard Cornuéjols and Bertrand Guenin, Ideal Binary Clutters, Connectivity, and a Conjecture of Seymour, SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics, 15 (2002), pp. 329-352
- Feimin Huang and Zhen Wang, Convergence of Viscosity Solutions for Isothermal Gas Dynamics, SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, 34 (2002), pp. 595-610
- Alfio Quarteroni, Alessandro Veneziani, and Paolo Zunino, A Domain Decomposition Method for Advection-Diffusion Processes with Application to Blood Solutes, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 23 (2002), pp. 1959-1980
Prizes Awarded in 2005
- Adrian Lewis, Active Sets, Nonsmoothness, and Sensitivity, SIAM Journal on Optimization, 13 (2002), pp. 702-725
- Karen Braman, Ralph Byers, and Roy Mathias, The Multishift QR Algorithm. Part II: Aggressive Early Deflation, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, 23 (2002), pp. 948-973
- Uriel Feige and Robert Krauthgamer, A Polylogarithmic Approximation of the Minimum Bisection, SIAM Journal on Computing, 31 (2002), pp. 1090-1118
Prizes Awarded in 2006
- Girish N. Nair and Robin J. Evans, Stabilizability of Stochastic Linear Systems with Finite Feedback Data Rates, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, 43 (2004), pp. 413-436
- Jean-Michel Coron and Emmanuel Trélat, Global Steady-State Controllability of One-Dimensional Semilinear Heat Equations, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, 43 (2004), pp. 549-569
- Michael Hintermüller, Kazufumi Ito, and Karl Kunisch, The Primal-Dual Active Set Strategy as a Semismooth Newton Method , SIAM Journal on Optimization, 13 (2003), pp. 865-888
Prizes Awarded in 2007
- Benny Applebaum, Yuval Ishai, and Eyal Kushilevitz, Cryptography in NC0, SIAM Journal on Computing, 36 (2006), pp. 845-888
- Björn Sandstede and Arnd Scheel, Defects in Oscillatory Media: Toward a Classification, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, 3 (2004), pp. 1-68
- Gabriel Robins and Alexander Zelikovsky, Tighter Bounds for Graph Steiner Tree Approximation, SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics, 19 (2005), pp. 122-134
Prizes Awarded in 2008
- Vicent Caselles, Antonin Chambolle, and Matteo Novaga, The Discontinuity Set of Solutions of the TV Denoising Problem and Some Extensions, Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 6, No. 3 (2007), pp. 879-894
- Subhash Khot, Ruling Out PTAS for Graph Min-Bisection, Dense k-Subgraph, and Bipartite Clique, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 36, No. 4 (2006), pp. 1025-1071
- Todd Kapitula, P. G. Kevrekidis, and Zhigang Chen, Three is a Crowd: Solitary Waves in Photorefractive Media with Three Potential Wells, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, Volume 5, No. 4 (2006), pp. 598-633
There were no prizes awarded in 2009 and 2010.
Prizes Awarded in 2011
- Justin Brickell, Inderjit Dhillon, Suvrit Sra, and Joel A. Tropp, The Metric Nearness Problem, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, Vol. 30, Issue 1 (2008), pp. 375-396
- Constantinos Daskalakis, Paul W. Goldberg, and Christos H. Papadimitriou, The Complexity of Computing a Nash Equilibrium, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 39, Issue 1 (2009), Special Issue STOC 2006, pp. 195-259
- Iftach Haitner, Minh-Huyen Nguyen, Shien Jin Ong, Omer Reingold, and Salil Vadhan, Statistically Hiding Commitments and Statistical Zero-Knowledge Arguments from Any One-Way Function, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 39, Issue 3 (2009), Special Section STOC 2007, pp. 1153-1218
Prizes Awarded in 2012
- Nir Ailon and Bernard Chazelle, The Fast Johnson-Lindenstrauss Transform and Approximate Nearest Neighbors, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 39, Issue 1 (2009), pp. 302-322
- Matthew Finn and Jean-Luc Thiffeault, Topological Optimization of Rod-Stirring Devices, SIAM Review, Vol. 53, Issue 4 (2011), Expository Research Papers section, pp. 723-743
- Bart Vandereycken and Stefan Vandewalle, A Riemannian Optimization Approach for Computing Low-Rank Solutions of Lyapunov Equations, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, Vol. 31, Issue 5 (2010), pp. 2553-2579
Prizes Awarded in 2013
- Andrew J. Bernoff and Chad M. Topaz, A Primer of Swarm Equilibria, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, Vol. 10, Issue 1 (2011), pp. 212-250
- Daniel Kressner and Christine Tobler, Krylov Subspace Methods for Linear Systems with Tensor Product Structure, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, Vol. 31, Issue 4 (2010), pp. 1688-1714
- Alexander V. Shapeev, Consistent Energy-Based Atomistic/Continuum Coupling for Two-Body Potentials in One and Two Dimensions, Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 9, Issue 3 (2011), pp. 905-932
Prizes Awarded in 2014
- Andrea L. Bertozzi and Arjuna Flenner, Diffuse Interface Models on Graphs for Classification of High Dimensional Data, Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 10, Issue 3 (2012), pp. 1090-1118
- Emmanuel J. Candès, Yonina C. Eldar, Thomas Strohmer, and Vladislav Voroninski, Phase Retrieval via Matrix Completion, SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences, Vol. 6, Issue 1 (2013), pp. 199-225
- Yurii Nesterov, Efficiency of Coordinate Descent Methods on Huge-Scale Optimization Problems, SIAM Journal on Optimization, Vol. 22, Issue 2 (2012), pp. 341-362
No award was made in 2015.
Prizes Awarded in 2016
- Boaz Barak, Mark Braverman, Xi Chen, Anup Rao, How to Compress Interactive Communication, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 42, Issue 3 (2013), pp. 1327-1363
- Nicola Mastronardi and Paul Van Dooren, The Antitriangular Factorization of Symmetric Matrices, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, Vol. 34, Issue 1 (2013), pp. 173-196
- Xiaochuan Tian and Qiang Du, Analysis and Comparison of Different Approximations to Nonlocal Diffusion and Linear Peridynamic Equations, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, Vol. 51 Issue 6 (2013), pp. 3458-3482
Prizes Awarded in 2017
- Jared L. Aurentz, Thomas Mach, Raf Vandebril, and David S. Watkins, Fast and Backward Stable Computation of Roots of Polynomials, SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications, Vol. 36, Issue 3 (2015), pp. 942-973
- Niv Buchbinder, Moran Feldman, Joseph (Seffi) Naor, and Roy Schwartz, A Tight Linear Time (1/2)-Approximation for Unconstrained Submodular Maximization, SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 44, Issue 5 (2015), pp. 1384-1402
- Theodore Vo, Richard Bertram, and Martin Wechselberger, Multiple Geometric Viewpoints of Mixed Mode Dynamics Associated with Pseudo-plateau Bursting, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems,Vol. 12, Issue 2 (2013), pp. 789-830
The next award will be made in 2017.
Changes to specifications (travel expenses and committee size) approved by Board July 2014.